Calvary Hospital Chapel
1968 S.T. Noad & Son
2 manuals, 3 ranks extended, electro-magnetic action
From 2003 OHTA Conference booklet:
Calvary Hospital was originally know as 'Lewisham Hospital', having been established in 1926 by the Order of the Little Company of Mary as a branch of Lewisham Hospital in Sydney. The Chapel of the Maternal Heart, in an impressive Spanish Mission Romanesque style, was built in 1952-1954 and incorporates important windows by the Sydney stained glass artist Stephen Moor (b. 1915) who studied art history and stained glass at the Academy of Fine Arts in Budapest. The pipe organ was supplied by S.T. Noad & Son in 1968. In spite of limited resources, the instrument is noted for its forthright tone in a favourable acoustic.
Unusual features of this modest three-rank extension instrument are its short-compass 4ft Principal rank which starts at Tenor F, the Claribel rank, which is of stopped wood construction, and the absence of couplers. The instrument was cleaned and overhauled in 1999 by Peter D.G. Jewkes.
Photo: James Flores (May 2023)
balanced swell pedal
* Keith J. Swan, A History of the City of Wagga Wagga: Wagga Wagga City Council, 1970, p.58.
* John Maidment, Gazetteer of New South Wales Pipe Organs. Melbourne: Society of Organists (Victoria) lnc., 1981..
* Specification and other infornation on organ supplied to Kelvin Hastie by Peter Jewkes August 2003.
* information on the building supplied to Kelvin Hastie by Sr Marie Tooze August 2003.
* Jenny Zimmer, Stained Glass in Australia. Melbourne: Oxford University Press, 1984, pp. 121-122.
Photos: James Flores (May 2023)