1875 Hill & Son Organ Restoration
Progress Report December 2006

from John Maidment


During 2006 activities in the workshop of George Stephens Pty Ltd have concluded and the components of the organ moved to the hall where the organ is being placed. Key achievements have included:

January - February 2007

Work currently being carried out or completed includes:

Over the next few months, the following tasks will be completed:

The following images illustrate this:

  1. Case detail and console in situ (minus drawstops)
  2. Installation of the large double-rise reservoir - note the lowered stage floor
  3. Reconstructed roller board and coupling actions
  4. Reconstructed manual to pedal coupling action backfalls
  5. Reconstructed inter-manual coupling actions behind keyboards
  6. Reconstructed manual backfalls
  7. Reconstructed barker lever detail showing pneumatic motor
  8. Reconstructed barker lever in situ on new frame at base of organ
  9. Reconstructed metal stop action components
  10. George Stephens with the barker lever components
  11. David Forward leathering and felting the rear of the keyboards
  12. Reconstructed barker lever detail
  13. Hill's special rolling pallet for the 32 foot pipes
  14. Pedal transverse roller board and Barker lever
  15. 32ft mouths and Barker lever bellows
  16. Inter-manual coupling actions
  17. Casework and 32ft C side from stage gallery
  18. Casework from hall floor with C side of 32ft at rear
  19. Reconstructed console

Illustrations by courtesy of Steve Kaesler, David Shield, John Maidment and the Friends of the Hill & Son Organ.



1875 Hill & Son restoration 2006
Tanunda SA


1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

10

11

12

13
Tanunda
14
Tanunda
15
Tanunda
16
 Tanunda
17
 Tanunda
18
Tanunda
19










 

Organ Historical Trust
of Australia citation:

"A three manual organ, originally of 37 speaking stops built by the noted London firm of Hill & Son for the Adelaide Town Hall where it was opened in 1877. One of three organs built by the firm for Australian town halls, it remains the oldest concert organ on the Australian mainland and is notable for its impressive casework, with carved details, its generous tonal scheme and outstanding sound."


Project Patrons:

Emeritus Professor David Galliver AM Ashleigh Tobin, Principal Organist St. Francis Xavier's Cathedral, Adelaide, Former Adelaide Town Hall Organist Brian Hurn OAM, Mayor of The Barossa Jane Lomax Smith, Lord Mayor of Adelaide Neil Andrew MP, Federal member for Wakefield Ivan Venning MP, State member for Schubert Luise Krips John Radzevicius Peter & Margaret Lehmann Don Brown


Project Coordinators:

Steven Kaesler, David Shield


Consultancy Committee:

John Maidment OAM, John Stiller, Ray Holland


Supported by:

The Barossa Council Tanunda Soldiers Memorial Hall Committee



Photos of the hall and
organ restoration work in progress

Stop layout

August 2011 progress report
February 2009 progress report
April 2008 progress report

December 2006 progress report

March 2006 progress report
October 2004 progress report

Sponsorship information