St Mark's Catholic Cathedral

Norman Street, Port Pirie

Built 1901 J.E. Dodd for Elder Hall, Adelaide
3 manuals, 32 speaking stops, 10 couplers, tubular-pneumatic action.

Rebuilt & enlarged 1934 J.E. Dodd
3 manuals, 51 speaking stops, 18 couplers, electro-pneumatic action

Rebuilt and installed present location 1979 J.E. Dodd & Sons Gunstar Organ Works
3 manuals (four manual divisions), 69 speaking stops, 13 couplers

 



St Mark's Catholic Cathedral, Port Pirie: exterior
[photograph by Trevor Bunning (October 2019)]


Historical and Technical Documentation by John Maidment
© OHTA, 2019 (last updated October 2019)


The original Catholic church at Port Pirie was opened on 9 July 1883; the architect was C. Polain. It was destroyed by fire in October 1947. A new church (which became a Cathedral upon the establishment of a new diocese) was dedicated on 1 March 1953. It was designed by the Adelaide architectural partnership of Russell & Yelland and designed in a Romanesque style. Built by L. O'Loughlin in brick, it provided seating for 700 and was 149 feet long and 36 feet high; the cost was £64,946.1



Elder Hall, University of Adelaide: case of the 1901 J.E. Dodd organ
[photograph from collection of State Library of South Australia]




Elder Hall, University of Adelaide: console of the 1901 J.E. Dodd organ
[photograph from collection of John Maidment, ex Ray Sanders]

The organ was built by J.E. Dodd for Elder Hall within the University of Adelaide and opened on 20 July 1901.2 With three manuals, 32 speaking stops and 10 couplers, this was the largest instrument so far to have been built by Dodd and was widely acclaimed for its progressive tonal qualities and console incorporating stopkeys, possibly after a patent taken out by British organbuilder Arthur Henry Whinfield. The electric blowing plant, made by Sturtevant, of Boston, was probably the first in South Australia. The manual key actions were tracker, with lever pneumatic actions used for the basses. Tubular-pneumatic action was used for the stops and Pedal division.

GREAT
Double Open Diapason
Open Diapason
Claribel
Viola
Claribel
Principal
Harmonic Flute
Fifteenth
Mixture
Tromba
Swell to Great Sub
Swell to Great
Swell to Great Super
Choir to Great Sub
Choir to Great
Choir to Great Super

16
8
8
8
8
4
4
2
3 ranks
8







A


B












 
SWELL
Lieblich Bourdon
Geigen Principal
Hohl Flute
Aeoline
Celeste
Octave
Flauto Traverso
Mixture
Cornopean
Oboe
Vox Humana
Tremulant

16
8
8
8
8
4
4
3 ranks
8
8
8






TC






(by hitching pedal)
 
CHOIR (unenclosed)
Viole d'Orchestre
Gedacht
Dulciana
Lieblich Flute
Flageolet
Clarionet
Orchestral Oboe
Swell to Choir

8
8
8
4
2
8
8


 
PEDAL
Open Diapason [wood]
Open Diapason [metal]
Bourdon
Violoncello
Space for 16 reed
Pedal Octave
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal
Choir to Pedal

16
16
16
8
16






A

B





 
Compass: 61/30
Balanced swell pedal
3 pistons to Great
3 pistons to Swell
1 Full to Great
1 Full to Swell
1 Grand Full Organ
Electric blowing
Adjustable stool3
     


It was rebuilt by Dodd in 1934, incorporating a new electro-pneumatic action, an attached drawstop console, a lowering of pitch, enclosure of the Choir Organ and adjustable pistons, with many tonal additions including a Tibia Clausa. The instrument was reopened on 27 August 1934.4 Apart from the transposition of several stops on the Choir Organ to form a Nazard and Tierce, the instrument remained unaltered until its removal from the hall in the late 1970s. It was frequently used for broadcasts on the ABC program Organists of Australia and performed upon by organists such as J.V. Peters and James Govenlock.

GREAT
Double Diapason
Contra Dulciana
Phonon Diapason
Open Diapason
Tibia Clausa
Viola
Claribel
Dulciana
Octave Diapason
Harmonic Flute
Fifteenth
Mixture
Ophicleide
Tuba Horn
Clarion
Swell to Great Sub
Swell to Great
Swell to Great Super
Choir to Great Sub
Choir to Great
Choir to Great Super

16
16
8
8
8
8
8
8
4
4
2
III
16
8
4







A
B



C

B




D
D
D






 
SWELL
Lieblich Bourdon
Open Diapason
Hohl Flute
Aeoline
Celeste
Principal
Flauto Traverso
Mixture
Cornopean
Oboe
Vox Humana
Tremulant
Sub Octave
Super Octave

16
8
8
8
8
4
4
III
8
8
8




E



TC









 
CHOIR
Contra Viol
Viol di Orchestra
Lieblich Gedackt
Dulcissima
Lieblich Flute
Flautina
Clarinet
Orchestral Oboe
Contra Fagotto
Tromba
Clarion
Tremulant
Sub Octave
Super Octave
Swell Sub Octave to Choir
Swell to Choir
Swell Octave to Choir

16
8
8
4
4
2
8
8
16
8
4






(enclosed except loud reeds)
F
F






D
D
D






 
PEDAL
Sub Bass
Acoustic Bass
Major Bass
Open Diapason
Sub Bass
Echo Bass
Contra Viol
Dolce
Violoncello
Lieblich Flute
Viol di Orchestra
Trombone
Tuba
Clarion
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal
Choir to Pedal5

32
32
16
16
16
16
16
16
8
8
8
16
8
4




H
G
G
A
H
E
F
B
C
E
F
C
C
C



 

 






St Mark's Catholic Cathedral, Port Pirie: Dodd organ rebuilt in rear gallery
[photographs by Trevor Bunning (October 2019)]

It was sold to St Mark's Catholic Cathedral, in Port Pirie, receiving an extensive rebuilding by J.E. Dodd & Sons Gunstar Organ Works. This included a new detached drawstop console and many tonal changes. The original Dodd case and pipework were retained. The instrument was reopened on 2 September 1979 with Adelaide cathedral organists and university lecturers James Govenlock and David Swale giving the opening recital.

GREAT
Double Diapason
Open Diapason I
Open Diapason II
Stopped Diapason
Viola
Dulciana
Principal
Rohr Flöte
Twelfth
Fifteenth
Mixture
Trumpet
Clarion
Swell to Great
Swell Octave to Great
Choir to Great
Choir Octave to Great
Solo on Great Off Choir

16
8
8
8
8
8
4
4
2-2/3
2
III
8
4






A










B
B





 
SWELL
Lieblich Bourdon
Open Diapason
Hohl Flöte
Gedeckt
Viole d'Orchestre
Celeste
Octave
Flauto Traverso
Nazard
Fifteenth
Mixture
Double Cornopean
Cornopean
Oboe
Vox Humana
Tremulant
Swell Super
Swell Unison Off

16
8
8
8
8
8
4
4
2-2/3
2
V
16
8
8
8







C

TC





D
D





 
CHOIR
Open Diapason
Lieblich Gedeckt
Principal
Lieblich Flute
Nazard
Octave
Flautino
Tierce
Spitz Quinte
Super Octave
Cymbel
Oboe Shalmey
Trompette en Chamade
Tremulant
Swell to Choir
Swell Octave to Choir

8
8
4
4
2-2/3
2
2
1-3/5
1-1/3
1
III
8
8















E
F TC



 
SOLO (BOMBARDE)
Trombone
Tromba
Trumpet
Octave Tromba
Trompette en Chamade

16
8
8
4
8
shared with Choir
G
G
B
G
F TC
 
SOLO
Harmonic Flute
Gedeckt
Aeoline
Octave Aeoline
Oboe Shalmey
Clarinet
Tremulant

8
8
8
4
8
8

shared with Choir

C
H
H
E


 
PEDAL
Double Wood Bass
Open Wood Bass
Open Diapason
Bourdon
Dulciana
Octave Diapason
Open Flute
Aeoline
Quinte
Super Octave
Stopped Flute
Octave Flute
Mixture III
Trombone
Cornopean
Trumpet
Oboe Shalmey
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal
Choir to Pedal

32
16
16
16
16
8
8
8
5-1/3
4
4
2
III
16
16
8
4




I
I
A
J



H
C




G
D
B
E



 

Great and Pedal Pistons Coupled

Compass: 61/30
Electro-pneumatic action
Detached drawstop and stopkey console6


1 Recorder, 4 March 1953, p.2

2 Advertiser, 22 July 1901, p.6

3 Evening Journal, 22 July 1901, p.3 (this includes a reproduction of Dodd's case design)

4 Advertiser, 11 August 1934, p.20

5 Specification from Bruce Allan Naylor, Gazetteer of Organs in South Australia (thesis, University of Adelaide, 1969), pp.13-16 and personal inspection by author 1966, 1973

6 Specification from photographs taken by Trevor Bunning and history of the organ written by Isaac Ellis and issued by the church

 



St Mark's Catholic Cathedral, Port Pirie: case detail showing Trompette en Chamade
[photograph by Trevor Bunning (October 2019)]




St Mark's Catholic Cathedral, Port Pirie: console
[photograph by Trevor Bunning (October 2019)]




St Mark's Catholic Cathedral, Port Pirie: left-hand stop jamb
[photograph by Trevor Bunning (October 2019)]




St Mark's Catholic Cathedral, Port Pirie: right-hand stop jamb
[photograph by Trevor Bunning (October 2019)]






St Mark's Catholic Cathedral, Port Pirie: couplers
[photograph by Trevor Bunning (October 2019)]




St Mark's Catholic Cathedral, Port Pirie: nave
[photograph by Trevor Bunning (October 2019)]