Holy Trinity Anglican Church
Kelso

c.1883 A. Hunter & Son, Clapham, London. 2m., 11 sp. st., 3c., tr.




From 1990 OHTA Conference booklet:

Holy Trinity is one of Australia's oldest and most historic church. It occupies a commanding position high on a hill to the east of Bathurst above the Macquarie River. It is the oldest church west of the Great Divide and was consecrated in 1836 by Bishop Broughton.

The church has an interesting organ history - there was an earlier barrel organ of the 1840s and then another instrument built in 1890 by Telford & Telford of Dublin existed in the Sunday School until 1935 when it was moved to St Alban's, Epping. Now greatly enlarged, the Telford organ serves St Mark's, Granville.


The present organ in Holy Trinity was built by A. Hunter & Son of London and opened in July 1883. This was one of ten Hunter organs in NSW representing the work of the firm between 1870 and 1900. Four of these have been substantially altered or destroyed (Burwood Methodist, Strathfield-Homebush Congregational, Waverley Methodist and St Martin's, Kensington), leaving as survivors this organ, St Matthew's Cathlic Church, Windsor; All Saints', Petersham; St Peter's Cathedral, Armidale; Burwood Presbyterian and St Andrew's Anglican Church, Summer Hill.

The tonal, mechanical and visual quality of this organ and its originality make it an important example of a small Victorian era instrument. The case, console fittings, wind supply, action, pipework and soundboards remain absolutely unaltered and theorgan can still be blown by hand. one alteration was the fitting of a balanced swell pedal by Geoffrey Kendall in the mid 1970s. The survival of the organ in such a state of iriginality is remarkable.


© PdL 2006


The specification is:

Great
Open Diapason
Stopd Diapason
Dulciana
Principal
Harmonic Flute
Flautina

Swell
Geigen Principal
Gamba
Salicional
Geigen Principal

Pedal
Bourdon

Couplers
Swell to Great
Swell to Pedal
Great to Pedal

8
8
8
4
4
2


8
8
8
4


16






Mechanical action throughout

Compass 56/30




Postcard from the late 1800s (SC)


Photos supplied by Trevor Bunning May 2006




Photo: Simon Colvin, taken at sunset April 2010