Canberra Girls' Grammar School Chapel
Chapel of the Annunciation
Melbourne Avenue, Deakin, ACT
Knud Smenge 1989, 2m., 12 sp.st., 3c., tr.
From SOJ June-July 1988:
The school chapel was originally the gym and has an excellent acoustics. The organ is located in a gallery and speaks very well into the room. it was built by Knud Smenge (Melbourne) in 1989.
From 2001 OHTA Conference handbook:
The school was established in 1926 by the Sisters of the Church (an Anglican order of nuns) in the old St John's rectory at Glebe Park. This building was demolished to make way for the extension of Ballumbir Street to Coranderrk Street - a memorial seat commemorates the spot near the Lutheran Church.
The school was established on this site at Deakin in 1927. When a new gymnasium was completed in 1988, the existing gymnasium complex was 'recycled' to become the Chapel of the Annunciation. An organ was commissioned from Knud Smenge (Melbourne) and was installed on the gallery in 1989. It is a free-standing instrument.
Knud Smenge (Photo: Trevor Bunning)
The specification is:
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal
Swell Octave to Pedal
Swell to Great
4 composition pedals
Swell is positioned as a Brustwerk division