St Stephen's Presbyterian Church
Howick Street, Bathurst
B. 1893 James Conacher Co., Huddersfield. Reb. 1902 Charles Richardson.
Reb. 1974 G. Kendall. 2m., 22 sp.st., 7c., el.mag.
2018 organ removed for relocation in St Michael and St John's Catholic Cathedral, Bathurst
According to Rushworth (Historic Organs of NSW p.233-4) this was the first organ built by James Conacher & Sons to be imported to Australia. It was ordered in 1892 and arrived in 1893. The specification was drawn up by the organist of Bathurst Cathedral, C.W. Naylor and was erected by H.C. Slade & Co. of George Street, Bathurst (the local musical instrument shop).
The organ was originally placed in the corner at the front of the church but moisture and heat affected the instrument and in 1902, Charles Richardson took the instrument down, repaired it and re-erected it in a central position. In 1923 an arch was cut into the wall to form an organ chamber and vestry and the instrument was moved into this by Charles Leggo. An electric blower was added in 1925 (a gas engine had been added in 1912).
The organ continued to be played without alteration until 1974 when it was rebuilt and enlarged using election action by Geoffery Kendall.
The specification is:
Swell to Great
Great Super Octave
Swell Sub Octave
Swell Super Octave
Open Diapason Wood
Swell to Pedal
Great to Pedal
orig. called Double Diapason
orig. called Salicional
orig. Voix Celeste (from TC)
* added by Geoffrey Kendall in 1974
The original compass was 56/30 and the action was mechanical.
Photos supplied by Trevor Bunning May 2006