St Anne's Catholic Church for the Centre for Traditional Latin Mass
Robert Cecil Clifton 1895-1908 for his music room at 231 Adelaide Tce, Perth
inst 1976 F J Larner & Co
2 manuals, 12 speaking stops, 2 couplers, mechanical & tubular-pneumatic action
Organ removed from St Alban's, Highgate, in August 2014 and relocated here.
St Alban's Church was built in 1889 as an "outreach" into the bushland surrounding Perth and was an early example of a mission church. The congregation grew so rapidly that it was necessary to enlarge the building, this being completed in 1898. The building is in the Norman style; the stained glass windows are said to be Norman–style windows intended for St George's Cathedral but given to St Alban's as they were considered unsuitable for the Gothic cathedral. The free–standing church bell is thought to be one of the oldest in the Commonwealth, cast in London in 1806 and intended for the docks area. However, the people objected to the bell being "too loud" and it was bought for St George's Church, Perth (the forerunner of the Cathedral) in 1842.
The organ was the last to be built (1895–1908) by Robert Cecil Clifton for the music room of his home at 231 Adelaide Terrace, Perth. Many years after his death in January 1931 it was moved to the then North Perth Congregational Church by J.E. Dodd; the instrument was opened on 22 December 1946 by Dr C. Edgar Ford. In 1976 it was sold to St Alban's Church for $5,000. There have been several alterations to the organ. After installation in St Alban's, the Great Salicional was removed by F.J. Larner and Co., and replaced by a metal Fifteenth and six pipes provided to complete the compass of the Great Open Diapason.
All photographs above taken when in St Alban's, Highgate
The casework of this organ, designed by Clifton in the Gothic style, resembling the work of A.G. Hill in Britain, is of considerable distinction, with carved pipeshades, cresting and projecting V tower. The spotted metal pipework was manufactured by George Fincham & Son.
Mechanical action to manuals; tubular– pneumatic action to pedal and drawstops
Attached drawstop console
3 thumb pistons to Great
3 thumb pistons to Swell
• Leon D. Cohen, Gathered Fragments: the Biography of Robert Cecil Clifton, I.S.O. 1854–1931. Bunbury, W.A.: Charta Duplicating and Binding Service, 1979, pp.98–100.