St Andrew's Anglican Church
J.C. Bishop, 1840s for unknown private location
1 manual, 5 speaking stops, mechanical action
Restored 1987 S.J. Laurie, Melbourne
This diminutive church of stuccoed brick was consecrated in 1845 after its conversion from a schoolhouse. The crenellated tower was added in 1863 .
The organ was built by J.C. Bishop, of New Road, St Mary-le-Bone, London, organ builder to Her Majesty. Its precise date of construction and original location are not known; the DD pipe of the Stopped Diapason is marked 'W.E. Richardson, 13 Grove Street, Lisson Grove'. Richardson joined the Bishop firm in 1850, but may have only maintained the organ after this date rather than assisting to build it. Certainly it appears to date from before this time, so it may be presumed to have been built in the 1840s. The oak case includes two carved corbels, one depicting a male head framed in laurel and ivy leaves, and a female head framed in rose flowers, possibly depicting the couple who commissioned the organ. It is almost certainly of domestic provenance given its retractable manual and pedals and its mounting on iron rollers.
A thorough restoration of the instrument was completed in 1987 by S.J. Laurie, this including work on the windchest, wind system, action, composition pedals, pipework and casework .
MANUAL Open Diapason bass 8 GG-Ten. F#, bass from Stopt Diapason Open Diapason treble 8 Ten. G Stopt Diapason 8 treble pipes 'mounted' Dulciana bass 8 GG-Ten.B, bass from Stopt Diapason Dulciana treble 8 middle C Principal 4 bass borrowed below G Hautboy 8 middle C
compass: manual GGG-f3, 59 notes
pedal pulldowns GGG-GG, 1 octave
5 composition pedals
lever swell pedal
wind pressure: 2-5/8"
 St Andrew's Church, Carrick, Tasmania. Carrick, 1960, p.2
 OHTA News, vol.11, no. 2 (April 1987), pp 5-7 for an account of the restoration.